Organic Chicken Chickpea Stew Recipe!
Quick Chicken and Chickpea Stew Recipe with tomatoes cooked on a stove, in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Plus how to turn into a healthy freezer meal instructions for busy families!
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 5 persons
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1kg bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1kg boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Olive oil, for frying
- 800g tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or basil, finely chopped
- Stovetop: Preheat large dutch oven on low heat, swirl a bit of avocado oil to coat and add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium, add pepper and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, quinoa, chickpeas, broth, salt (You might need to add less salt if beans and broth you are using are not low sodium), pepper and bay leaves; stir, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Instant Pot: Add ingredients in exact order listed: onion, garlic, bell pepper, chicken, quinoa, chickpeas, broth, salt, pepper, bay leaves and tomatoes. DO NOT STIR. Pressure cook on High for 20 minutes and afterwards release pressure with Quick Release method.
- Slow Cooker: Preheat large dutch oven on low heat, swirl a bit of avocado oil to coat and add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium, add pepper and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a large slow cooker along with chicken, tomatoes, quinoa, chickpeas, broth, salt, pepper, bay leaves; stir, cover and cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Last Step for All: Turn off heat; add tahini and herbs, stir and let stand for a couple minutes.
If cooking in Instant Pot, pressure cook on High from frozen with 2 cups of water (stock) for 20 minutes with Quick Release. Add tahini and parsley, stir and serve.
If cooking in a slow cooker, you would have to saute onion, garlic and pepper before freezing with other ingredients. Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours (food safety thing), then add to a large slow cooker with 2 cups of water (stock) and cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low. Add tahini and parsley, stir and serve.
How to Preserve:
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer Meal: In a gallon size Ziplock bag, add all ingredients, except water (stock), tahini paste and parsley, finishing with tomatoes on top. Let as much air out as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
All The Ingredients That You Need Available On Our Products Page.